What to do if you want to get married
- Dr. Raoul Comninos is a licensed marriage officer in Cape Town.
- Please contact me via email if you wish to get married.
- I offer premarital counseling and I am happy to perform the wedding of any couple provided it is within the Cape Town area.
- I am happy to marry persons who are not members of our Church and non-Christians. For me marriage is for humankind generally, not for religious people exclusively. It is not a sacrament but a creation ordinance. As such, it is part of God’s general kindness, not part of what we call God’s’ saving grace. A person does not have to get married in a Church in order to be truly married. That said, there are certain legal conditions that must be met for a marriage to be legitimate.
- One must also bear in mind that a marriage ceremony devoid of all religious elements, such as prayers, Scripture readings, a message, and the word “God”, is reduced to the bare bones of a courtroom experience.
- Go here to find out more about the Minister.
- Please also see my philosophy of ministry
Raoul’s Wedding checklist
❏ A letter from a lawyer is advisable if the couple wish to be married in ante-nuptial contract or accrual. Otherwise, the couple is by default registered on the system as married in community of property.
❏ Certified IDs of the couple
❏ Certified IDs of the two witnesses
❏ 2 x color ID photos of the couple
❏ Fingerprints of the couple (to be taken by me)
❏ Fingerprints to be made where couple sign
❏ The name the bride chooses to assume after marriage
❏ Divorce certificate if required
❏ Permission by a parent in the case of a minor
❏ Choose best man, bridesmaids, maid of honor, and ring bearer
❏ Decide on who is to walk down the aisle
❏ Decide on person/s to give away bride
❏ Choose a location for the wedding ceremony
❏ Decide on the location of the signing of register
❏ Denominational stamp
❏ Select music for the wedding ceremony
❏ Registration of the couple at home affairs